castiellans

castiellans

i was born amidst salt and smoke to wake dragons out of stone.

The Immortal Rules
Julie Kagawa
Progress: 49/359 pages
Feed
Mira Grant
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
George R.R. Martin

Reached (Matched Trilogy Book 3)

Reached - Ally Condie *transforms into a pterodactyl and flies into the sun*I never really expected to love this series as much as I did. I've grown overly-attached to the characters (to the point where a couple of them have the ability to reduce me to a sobbing mess on the floor) and I've became really invested in the plot line. At first, I was honestly scared to read this book. I've been burned by trilogy-ending YA novels in the past (I'm side-eyeing you hard right now, Suzanne Collins), and since my favorite character is Xander and I was pretty sure he wasn't going to end up with Cassia, I didn't expect him to even survive the book (because, you know, some authors just like to kill off 1/3 of the love triangle to get them out of the way), so I was pleasantly surprised that, not only did all three of the main character survive, but they all got a lot of page-time and each of them really developed into their own person by the end of the book.I think some people are going to be annoyed by the way the romantic plot line takes a backseat to the Rising/Plague/cure plot lines, but honestly, I was glad to see them focus on something else for a while. I felt the focus on the romance in the first two books hindered the development of the Society vs. Rising plot lines, so I was glad to see that actually, you know, go somewhere for once.Let's talk about the characters. Oh wow, the characters. As the Tumblr User Formerly Known as xander-carrow, you know I've been yearning for some character development for my former URL namesake for three books now. And we finally got it. In fact, in my opinion, he was the character who had developed the most by the end of the series. I don't even mind that he didn't end up with Cassia, because I still feel as if he got a happy ending anyway. I'd really came to love Lei by the end of the book (and when it was revealed who she was--VICK FEELS!) so I was really glad they were finally able to find happiness together. For once, I am satisfied with the ending a favorite character of mine got. I love that Cassia finally got her memories back, although it irked me that we never really found out how she did it. I guess some questions aren't meant to be answered though; you can't tie up every loose end. I found Cassia too passive in the first book, but she finally took action and really came through for the other characters at the end. I also appreciate that she was able to choose between the two guys without one of them having to be killed off or vilified.Ky was incapacitated for like half the book, but if you know me you know I don't really mind that. (lol.) (sorry ky.) However, I really like the little friendship he had going with Indie (Indie! ;-;) and I like that he and Xander were able to be friends without their feelings for Cassia getting in the way. That's honestly my favorite part of this whole love triangle: That all three of them were still friends at the end, and that the two guys honestly liked each other. Not here for that macho-alpha-dog-she's-mine-so-take-a-seat-or-step shit that a lot guys in love triangles seem to have going on. Indie.I don't want to talk about it.I didn't trust her in the second book, but by the third, she'd honestly became one of my favorites, right behind Xander. She was such a strong character, and I just...Yeah. Don't even look at me right now.Probably my number-one problem with the book (and the series as a whole) is that it was hard for me to distinguish the narrators from each other. A lot of the time, their voices ran together, especially Cassia and Ky. But that's just sort of a minor thing; as long as I checked the narrator's name at the beginning of the chapter, I was good. I'm really glad this series ended in a satisfying way for me. That doesn't seem to happen too often, but in the end, all three of the main characters contributed to solving the problem and there was finally conflict in a series that I feel had earlier been marred with too much passiveness and romance, so yeah, I really liked it, and I look forward to reading more series from Ally Condie in the future. :)