castiellans

castiellans

i was born amidst salt and smoke to wake dragons out of stone.

The Immortal Rules
Julie Kagawa
Progress: 49/359 pages
Feed
Mira Grant
A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
George R.R. Martin

Blood Red Road

Blood Red Road - Moira Young So basically the first half of this book was great. I laughed, I cried, I gasped. There was female cage fighting *fans self*. There was a heroine who actually kicked ass. But Saba wasn't the only kickass female here--they all were, especially Maev, who I am hopelessly in love with. I'll be obsessed with her for days. But most of all--my favorite part--there was a strong family bond between Saba and her siblings, and even when Emmi was annoying her, that bond was still there. Saba never lost the will to go on, even when things seemed hopeless, because she knew she had to rescue her twin brother, Lugh. I'm a sucker for a sibling bond, maybe because I'm an only child who desperately wants a brother or sister and I live vicariously through these characters, haha. The lack of quotation marks was hard to get used to at first, but I didn't mind the spelling and grammar at all because it reminded me of one of my favorite books, The Knife of Never Letting Go. Overall, the first 260 pages were genius.Then came the second half of the book.Blood Red Road seriously would have gotten five stars from me if not for the last 200 pages. The minute Saba separated from the Free Hawks, things started to go downhill, and although the action got going again toward the end and it was a little better, it still couldn't make up for all the things that came before that.Let it be known now: I don't like Jack. I don't like him as a character because he's like far too many other male love interests I've read about lately; I don't like him in a relationship with Saba because it felt forced to me. I never really got into their interaction, I never really believed that they could have possibly liked each other that much. With Saba constantly in danger, on the run, and on a mission to rescue her brother, is there really time for romance? I want to know when someone is going to write a YA book without romance because dear Lord in Heaven it kills books for me every time and this was no exception. But besides the fact that I didn't like Jack and his relationship with Saba, the second half of the book still wouldn't have been that great to me because it sort of settled into a predictable pattern and...I don't know, it just generally wasn't as good as what the first half had to offer.But thank the Book Gods for the first half, and a heroine who isn't afraid to get a little dirt on her hands.In my last review, I said maybe I was asking for too much when I wanted a YA heroine who really kicked ass. Well, I got her. Saba and the Free Hawks are awesome. I think I'm in love.Am I going to read the next one?Will there be more female cage fighting?Haha, joking! I don't really know yet. For now, I'm putting it on my TBR list, but by the time it's actually released, I may change my mind. I do have an emotional attachment to some of these characters, but the romance and the way the plot progressed in the second half of the book really threw me off.So yeah. We'll see.